Monday, November 28, 2011

Inquiry & CMP Research

Inquiry Learning Model- I gather that this model is a form of investigation that the answer or outcome is relevant to the individual. The outcome is really important in this.

I read through the guiding principals for the CMP and honestly it could fit any math book. When you read them I feel like every math book ever created could use these as guidelines.
I was a math tutor over at Whitaker Middle School and they used these books. Although I love their light weight and easy to cary around mobility, I also really like how they are more relate-able to the students lives. There are money problems, pe applications etc... So I like CMP's relevance to students lives better than traditional text books who in terms of money problems you will see compounded interest problems (which doesn't really apply to students of this age range).
In terms of direct instruction, guided practice, independent work this all could be implemented to the CMP depending on the teacher. For instance, will a teacher make the students read the CMP packet on their own and do the problems? Will she make them work in pairs? Will she work with them before they break off to work in pairs? The CMP is a good idea, but in the hands of a poor math teacher it can be just as unsuccessful!

No comments:

Post a Comment