Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Practicum- sharing a Lesson

Yesterday was my first day teaching at Judson Middle School. I taught the majority of the classes and it was a 'fun' day with the theme of the Day of the Dead.
Objective: Students will be able to create a papel picado.
In order to get the students able to do this, I showed a brief powerpoint of what the Dia de los Muertos was, where its celebrated and how its generally celebrated. I then talked about Papel Picado's and their function as a Mexican craft and world wide decorative piece. I then  briefly showed my example and folding and cutting techniques. I had stencils if they wanted them, but they were told that they could implement their own design.
I checked the understanding in my formative assessment via exit slips. And no, they didn't get it. BAH! But, this was good for me to see before I start my unit this way I can make changes and place more emphasis where it is needed for the students to really understand what I want them to get. Furthermore, as I was walking around to help and snoop on their progress I realized that the majority of the students were not paying attention when I discussed the methods of folding. I think for future projects that have direct ways of folding or what not, I will walk the class through this while they are doing it. This will get more students where I want them to be!

If I were to reteach the lesson? I would change a lot! I would have more information on the history and make the students do a mini group project to get the information in their heads. I would then walk them through the folding technique together as a class then cut them loose to have fun. Furthermore, because it was a fun day, not a lot of students were productive, this bothered me. I think that if it were my class they would still get a effort based grade for the day, that way participation would be higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment