Friday, September 2, 2011

My Favorite Web2.0 tools

So, from my online surfing I believe Web 2.0 is not a different version of the world wide web, but a name given to aspects of the web that are constructivist in nature. So anything that is truly collaborative/sharing/group working applications fall under this tittle Web 2.0. So for me, the web is like the broad category art, and web 2.0 is like  specifically painting (in which painting has numerous mediums, oil, acrylic, water color, en-caustic etc...).

TeamViewer is a Web 2.0 program that is free online. You can either use it once or just download it so you won't have to do all the steps every time you want to use it. I have already used this program with the teacher, and it is a great tool for students who really struggle with technology if you have a teacher who is willing to help. Basically you download the application (or just use it once) and it asks for a code, it gives one person (the student) the code and you have to give your teacher the code so they can punch it in to their computer. Once all codes are given the teacher (or person you gave the code to) has access to your computer. In my case, the teacher moved the cursor and told me step by step what he was doing on my computer screen so I could see the steps I needed to take. This is a great tool for students who are struggling technologically, having computer issues, or need step by step guidance in completing tasks.

UStream. I signed up and it was free. It took me a while to figure out what the heck I need to click on, it reminded me of youtube where there is just so many video's to watch I was lost in a see of garbage...but the tittles help. So you can click on education and educational streams will pop up (like Al Gore and the 24 hour project). To create your own you have to click on your user name in the right hand corner, again I got lost but just explored numerous buttons.

Oh man, this was not fun. I couldn't get my web cam to work, then every time I accessed my main channel it would freeze firefox and I would have to close out and get back into it. So, I am not sure if my little angry video will work but here is my attempt:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/turn-this-is

After cooling off from this assignment I started thinking about ways I could possibly use this (although highly unlikely)! In art, often as the teacher you give demonstrations of what is expected or going to happen in a project. It would be a lot easier for a teacher to Ustream herself completing the project, and then playing it to all seven classes. This would make her day less redundant as well as being able to save the demonstration for classes and years to come! So, that being said there is one upside to Ustream, even though it is a vile  program :)

2 comments:

  1. P.S. This product is extremly annoying becuase at any moment you are watching something an ad will pop up. In the teachers watch me example I watched two videos, some disney wanna be singer AND a new video game. Talk about thought disruptive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very patient person. Indeed frustrating and distracting with UStream. One might want to back away, then possible Google something like 'Ustream in education' and see how it might be used.
    The video you recorded used your web cam ... and how might a group of students use something like this in your classroom? We'll talk about some applications on Thursday. Thanks for hanging in there ...

    ReplyDelete