Wednesday, September 14, 2011

'New Tech Standards & Requirements'

Surprisingly enough I skipped over the create technology aspect and really found 2.A and 2.C interesting.It is my understanding that these two requirements want students to work collaboratively, not just with other students but people from other countries by using different technologies. This will bring continents which seem estranged from us, and bring their ideas to the classroom.I thought about this one for a while. I think that by having my students sign up for something like Blue Canvas would be extremely helpful as well as satisfying the technology requirements 2.A and 2.C. Blue canvas is exactly like facebook except its for artists or wannabe's. Essentially you sign up, create a profile and upload your artwork. Once thats said and done, you can explore other peoples artwork from across the world, you can blog/message back and forth. This is a great tool for artists to see work outside of their norm, to see other cultures and societies and their processes. I tried to create an account this summer to see what it was all about. So I just went in and finished it up, you can see my page of art and at the top you can search other art to explore from.

The third rule I liked was 6.A. Which to me was to get the student out in the computer/technology setting explore in order to use. I would add an element of creativity to this rule. So, for my high school students final project I would want them to create a slide show of all their work from the term. This would be open in terms of what application would be used, whether they want music or text etc... So once they had a general idea of what they wanted to do they would have to explore the technology tool on their own and figure out how to manipulate it to their specificity. Here is my example of what I did this summer using Youtube (they would use art work):



With this all being said I do see a lot of challenges mainly concerning computers and location. I have never seen one art classroom with a computer. So I would be assuming that all students have access as well as internet outside of the classroom. This is a big assumption that cannot be made. Perhaps I can work a deal with the technology person at my school, that my students one day a month can fit in and work with the technology. Also, the majority of art networks involve blogging/instant messaging, something that is not permitted on school grounds. I would have to talk to the principal regarding a way around this dilemma.

1 comment:

  1. As seems to be your pattern, you selected a few of the meaningful applications of the topic at hand (this case being the 6 ed tech categories), and applied them to the nth degree. Your 'page of art' is just incredible, and your follow up video could be applied as a culmination of your students work. And, most importantly, you are looking to clear the barriers that may stand in your way!

    ReplyDelete